Friday, February 1, 2008

It's Amazin' to me . . .

It's Amazin' to me . . .
Thursday, January 31, 2008


Years ago when I was touring my one-man show on Woody Guthrie, in the course of events - studying, researching, practicing, rehearsing, writing, editing, reading, traveling - it dawned on me that I ought to learn to play the spoons, AND bones, for the show - you know, to make it more authentic. Just seemed natural to me. An appropriate thing to do. No direct evidence that Guthrie did, but, still and all, none that he didn't, either - so, we (being "me") forged ahead.
Worked'em into the show, and I was proud of my additions - audiences seemed to like'em. Short, simple, folky, and funny - just right!
When I moved on to other things having nothing to do with Guthrie, folk music, etc., I tucked both bones and spoons away. Why? I don't know. And Where? Again, I don't know.
But, somewhere, some time thereafter (last 2 or 3 years), I came across'em and started playin' with'em again for ol' time's sake. And, then, last year I brought'em out as part of a storytelling performance, and they went crazy - "they" were elementary school students, and we had a grand ol' time.
Well, next performance, I spent more time with both spoons and bones. The kids were so entranced with'em I began to allow some time to teach'em spoon-basics, then got 10 or so kids up front with me, joined together in rhythmical madness to our bluegrass background music, and just went crazy!
I couldn't believe it. These kids were absolutely taken with spoons'n bones. 'Course, they'd never seen'em, never heard'em, never held'em (as musical instruments). I reminded'em that they already had spoons at home, so they didn't have to buy any store-bought items to make music. I talked to'em about "the old days" when there was no electricity - how did folks entertain themselves? We discussed it a bit, then they entertained themselves - and a bunch of other folks. They couldn't get enough of it, and neither could I.
Many sat close by, slack-jawed, watching and listening to the rhythms, and uttered (honest!)
"Wow - that's awesome!"
And it was, and it is . . . "Amazin' to me...."

Bless ya -
Tom T

No comments: